Hurricane Sandy’s effects on West Virginia pale in comparison to the effects that north-east states such as New York and New Jersey received; however, we want to provide an update for those of you who have expressed concern for our area. Hurricane Sandy’s reach varied amongst regions in West Virginia. Here at Nelson Rocks, we received a small amount of snow as well as minimal wind damage. Just 9 miles away and 2,000 feet in elevation gain lies Spruce Knob, which acquired two and a half feet of snow. Twenty inches quickly accumulated on the slopes in Canaan Valley and Snow Shoe Mountain on Monday, October 29th causing ski enthusiasts in the area to flock to the hills. The snow was still piling up Thursday on top of the three feet left from Sandy throughout the week. Statewide blackouts ensued causing many businesses to temporarily shut down. Although the power came back on at Nelson Rocks after a few short days, many individuals in our neighboring counties still remain without power.
November 5, 2012
Hurricane Sandy Pays West Virginia A Brief Visit
Nelson Rocks Outdoor Center (NROC) is located in the beautiful North Fork Valley of Pendleton County, West Virginia. NROC, formerly know as the Nelson Rocks Preserve, is a privately-owned nature preserve that encompasses 145 mountainous acres. Home to incredible rock climbing, via ferrata climbing, a canopy tour, and miles of breathtaking, awe-inspiring hiking trails NROC is sure to offer the dose of adventure that’s right for you. View all posts by nrocstaff
This entry was posted on Monday, November 5th, 2012 at 7:00 pm and posted in Everything NROC. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Check out our Website!
- Hurricane Sandy Pays West Virginia A Brief Visit
- These Trees They Are A Changing
- David Kurtz’s Experience at Nelson Rocks
- Timelapse Video of the Overlook
- Share Your NROC Experience!
- “A Water Bottle Story”
- Stay Hydrated!
- Couple Gets Married at Seneca Rocks
- Updated Lodging Photos!
- Share Your Love for the Outdoors With Your Kids
- RT @WGroah: That West Virginia Light is Awesome. Big thanks to Matt at @NROC_WV http://t.co/1ZyHnW8xlB 2 years ago
- Did you know.. NROC is only one of the few via ferratas in the United States? instagram.com/p/r-PqGjBfQB/ 2 years ago
- What are your plans this weekend? Visit our website to book your adventure. instagram.com/p/r7HYVPBfWj/ 2 years ago
- Check out our Facebook page: facebook.com/NelsonRocksOut… to see a video of our beautiful Via Ferrata. http://t.co/uA59jHZBBv 2 years ago
- RT @jlawrence6067: Hiking the Nelson Rocks Outdoor Center Via Ferrata on Saturday @NROC_WV http://t.co/2JwjGrD9ta 2 years ago
Find us on Pinterest